Chawkie's FD Diary!!!!

On Tuesday last week I purchased my FD from a friend of Kruizer's in Limerick. A 1994 R2 Special Edition. The car was amazing value but it does have its issues which I hope to document here! I bought the car at 8pm so didn't get to properly check the car with it being dark but the seller and Kruizer are decent guys so I was happy to take the punt on it. Anyway,there were others coming to view the car that week so I needed to act fast.... Saturday was the first day I got to see the car in daylight and the car was exactly as expected! 20130112_152920_zpsa658ef17.jpg The car is not without it's flaws though so on Saturday my project begun... The first small issue to attack was the heat light. This was on constantly due to a decat being fitted. 20130112_142226_zps4fb2e105.jpg I removed the interior to get at the wiring for the cat temp sensor and while at it gave the car a good hoover, something it badly needed. To fix the issue with the warning light I joined the two wires coming off the block connector together like so... 20130112_131342_zps33076238.jpg20130112_141815_zps8d5ec7db.jpg Hey presto, no heat light issue... 20130112_142337_zps0d1c32aa.jpg Next job to be tackled was the odometer. This wasn't working so I removed the clocks following a guide on another forum and on Wednesday got a guy who's a genius with circuit boards to replace capicators and he repaired cracked connections. This weekend I'll be refitting so fingers crossed 20130112_142234_zpsdd6593af.jpg After this I just did a bit of looking around the car. The rear reflectors were "tinted" using insulation tape so removed this crap 20130112_145604_zpscc2d7fed.jpg20130112_145802_zpsa1de9a3c.jpg The other, yet untouched, issues are: Not boosting correctly. Boosting to about .5 bar only Exhaust is hitting the body, think its the towing eye Need to replace the headlight covers. Driver side one came off when the seller was bringing the car to me to view and the other is carbon wrapped and looks tacky Mirrors are carbon wrapped. To be removed and painted 99 spec front lip doesn't fit right so gonna try a standard lip and see what I like better Paint on the passenger wing and front bumper is poor. Lots to keep me occupied!!!! Some more pictures and I'll leave it there for now. Thanks for reading. All suggestions welcome 20130112_121014_zpsd9a9960d.jpg20130112_113542_zpsb3ccebec.jpg20130112_113346_zps553aa53c.jpg20130112_113533_zps69f4d7f7.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few more parts added to the stock pile of items to be fitted. I decided that I was just going to bite the bullet and make this a one time hit on everything engine related and do it while the engine is

The RX7 came first day with a really slow acting intake temp sensor. This sits in the intake manifold at the top of the engine and of course is subject to heat soak. Problem is, as it acts so slow it

So the 7 has been sitting unused the last 12 months pretty much. Bought a house so that has taken priority from a financial and time point of view understandably. What it also means is that I was fool

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!! Isn't .5 relatively normal for a stock car? Mine does about .6 and I haven't installed a controller yet. Nice purchase there though. Defo do the bits you have in mind. I would also change the bumper, but that's just me. ;p Good luck with it. I'll be keeping my eyes on this. Any plans for under the hood?

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!! Thanks guys, as above, the car in the background is a 3rd Gen Prelude. Its my sisters project car. Also out of shot is my Gen1 Mirage Mivec track car. What is the NCT issue with the rear reflectors? No plans for engine work just get the turbos working ok first. At Omega, is it a bodykit bumper you'd change to? Im loving the factory look so will be keeping it subtle. Its a modern classic thats often ruined by bodykits sometimes

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!!

Close' date=' my R6 which gets no use. Fitted a titanium exhaust last Saturday too. Will throw up a pic if interested d[/quote'] +1 Interested :) Ive a ZX-6R and Blackbird myself. I didnt know about this and got a "visual fail" for the reflectors not being amber, I removed the rear red reflectors altogether (screwed them off) outside the center, told them i sorted it, NCT guy came out to re-inspect and passed it. ;) I later found out about the black tape trick.

At Omega, is it a bodykit bumper you'd change to? Im loving the factory look so will be keeping it subtle. Its a modern classic thats often ruined by bodykits sometimes
Stock ones are fine man, I just prefer the later 2-spot ones rather than the type of lights on that bumper there. I think it adds a nicer look to it. :)

Stock ones are fine man, I just prefer the later 2-spot ones rather than the type of lights on that bumper there. I think it adds a nicer look to it. :)
I get you. Ya, the newer is nicer but I'm planning on keeping this as close to original looking as possible!!

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!! Some mixed emotions today! First started with refitting the clocks after having capacitors replaced and cracked connections repaired but unfortunately, still not working :smt013 :smt013 On the plus side, discovered my wheels are Rays Engineering wheels, 17 x 9 rears and 17 x 8 front wheels. 20130119_153906_zps399b698e.jpg Exhaust is Fujitsubo 20130119_154602_zpsff960bfc.jpg Coilovers are MazdaSpeed (which I already knew) but they've fancy external reservoirs so not just a basic coilover! :D20130119_153922_zpsa143ac6b.jpg

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!! So today I return home after being away on work all week and have a few bits waiting for me. I bought, from gav240z, 2 silver headlight covers and a standard front lip as I've a 1999 spec one one at present. The driver side headlight cover is a fiberglass copy but will do the job for now! The lip is currently painted silver but plan to paint it black and fit and see which I rather, standard or 99 spec front lip! Also in the post box were 5 Viton Check valves from Dale Clark in the states. Last but not least, the all important log book! Final bit of news is the car will be insured as of tomorrow afternoon so just need to find time to tax the car. NCT was booked for Saturday week but I've this postponed on account of my issue getting the odometer working and I assume the NCT will need this!!!

Re: Chawkie's FD Diary!!!! Well done, coming along nicely!! Lovely coilovers :shock: Can I have them please :-D I was thinking about your speedometer problem.. Maybe something you can check is the actual vehicle speed sensor connector. It's under the car on the gearbox. There's a few different ones (neutral switch, reverse switch etc.) Also a diy diagnostics test with a multimeter will show up this problem. Not sure if this circuit is fused but worth checking the fuses too if you havn't already. Epic work repairing the circuits by the way. You'll get it working!

Well done, coming along nicely!! Lovely coilovers :shock: Can I have them please :-D I was thinking about your speedometer problem.. Maybe something you can check is the actual vehicle speed sensor connector. It's under the car on the gearbox. There's a few different ones (neutral switch, reverse switch etc.) Also a diy diagnostics test with a multimeter will show up this problem. Not sure if this circuit is fused but worth checking the fuses too if you havn't already. Epic work repairing the circuits by the way. You'll get it working!
The only two things I can do with a multimeter is check voltage and continuity. Now that I can drive the car ill get the guy that originally did the odometer to check it over. Speedo and tacho are working perfectly though

fire the car in for the test chawkie ' date=' theyll just fail it for a visual surely and bring it back when its sorted .[/quote'] But if its not sorted in a month its a full retest! Ive it already rescheduled fr March 30th so once its sorted, ill keep an eye on dates and try and get it in earlier! The guy thats looking at it for me is in New York working

The only two things I can do with a multimeter is check voltage and continuity. Now that I can drive the car ill get the guy that originally did the odometer to check it over. Speedo and tacho are working perfectly though
Jesus, mad that the speedo works but not the odometer :smt017 If your multimeter can display quick pulses of voltage (less than a second apart) then you can do the diagnostics test without any additional equipment. Look for the diagnostics connector near the battery. The actual names of the different pins are under the connector cover. Bridge TEN (test enable) and ground with a wire, then stick the probes of the volt meter between B+ (battery positive) and MEN (monitor enable). Turn on the ignition and if you have fault codes stored they will be shown as voltage pulses. You need the factory service manual to read them. 1994 Mazda RX7 Workshop Manual (75MB) - http://www.wrex-racing.com/html/fd/9...hop_manual.zip 1994 Mazda RX7 Wiring Diagram(color) (30MB) - http://www.wrex-racing.com/html/fd/9...ng_diagram.zip 1994 Mazda RX7 Body Electrical Manual (18MB) - http://www.wrex-racing.com/html/fd/9...ric_manual.zip 1993(-95) Mazda RX7 Service Highlights Manual (27MB) - http://www.wrex-racing.com/docs/fd/9...highlights.pdf This wont fix your odometer problem but it's a handy thing to know All the best with the nct