DoneDeal and other classifieds thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think they'd be able to tell it was ported at all, it's a change to the intake and exhaust ports in the engine, they're slightly bigger and only a rotary expert could tell. Ask @RichieDC, @Bra

Porting technically from an insurance stand point is "modifying the car" , however I believe there is a line in there somewhere "parts replaced for upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle with oem or al

Not being sexist (I don't think), but all the 'one lady owner' cars I saw in my purchasing experience either had low compression or no idea what compression is, which tended to put me off as a 'discer

Posted Images

On 7 July 2016 at 10:23 PM, Aido 8 said:

I'm always sad to a see a member's car up for sale :(. Good luck with the sale Alan :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-rx8-231bhp/12768592

Thanks Aido... I've been travelling a lot since November of last year with work. I decided to test the waters a few weeks back while I was away and although it had over 1,200 views on Done Deal... No one came even close to the asking, not even a half decent bid lol.. So I've decided to hold onto it and while not actively advertise it for sale, if someone came knocking at €6,500 I'd consider it.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Hi tried calling Shadow Rotary but no response. Any on here selling an RX8 other than the 04 that's up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey ice,  Did you try Anthony at shadow? 085 777 1808

I dunno your budget, but they've a 6speed 231 that's being newly built (and streetported if required) and sold with a full warranty for under 6k all in.

Just my 2c but if you're looking for peace of mind and a cracking car to boot that's the way to go B)

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

Hi 231 is the way to go I think.

Yes gave him a ring but did not manage to get through. Was think more around 4K mark but I guess warranty brings the price up. Any idea year or colour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he's a busy body , usually under the sump of a car, maybe try a text as he always gets back then.

As far as I know they've a red and a black for building and possibly a silver too..  All between 04-06 if I recall. Again when I say below 6k then there's bound to be room for haggling. But yeah, having a brand new build , ported and warranty is priceless when it comes to buying...

I know the guys well, and have worked with them, but as biased as I may be I'd put them at the forefront of Rotary mechanics/garages in the country.

Yeah he's a busy body , usually under the sump of a car, maybe try a text as he always gets back then.

As far as I know they've a red and a black for building and possibly a silver too..  All between 04-06 if I recall. Again when I say below 6k then there's bound to be room for haggling. But yeah, having a brand new build , ported and warranty is priceless when it comes to buying...

I know the guys well, and have worked with them, but as biased as I may be I'd put them at the forefront of Rotary mechanics/garages in the country.

Cool thanks for advice Richie I gave him a text. Silver '06 would be ideal! Agee on the rebuild as I would not be planning to mess about wit it myself think a new build would be the best way to go.

There are a fair few on Donedeal & Adverts.ie for €4K or less & some 2006s etc including ones that have been rebuilt, not necessarily silver though.

Ye had look but not so many with rebuild I could see. Maybe I missed some as black not for me. There was this but the fuel saver chip with35mpg sounds not right to me. Sure you guys know more..

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13310149
Mazda rx8

18 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Ye had look but not so many with rebuild I could see. Maybe I missed some as black not for me. There was this but the fuel saver chip with35mpg sounds not right to me. Sure you guys know more..

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13310149
Mazda rx8

I'd be extremely, highly and completely dubious of claims in that ad. Not to say that it's a bad car but:

1) it's a 231, not a 221 - any knowledgeable owner would know that.

2) Prodrive don't rebuild rotary engines.

3) Prodrive don't make brake sets for the rx8

4) Prodrive don't make fuelsaver chips for the rx8

prodrive did do a lot of work on the suspension and exhaust for the PZ model but no brake work. That's not a PZ as the wheels, mirrors and spoiler are different.

as I said, it could be a solid car but, it's overstated to say the least.

I'd be extremely, highly and completely dubious of claims in that ad. Not to say that it's a bad car but:

1) it's a 231, not a 221 - any knowledgeable owner would know that.

2) Prodrive don't rebuild rotary engines.

3) Prodrive don't make brake sets for the rx8

4) Prodrive don't make fuelsaver chips for the rx8

prodrive did do a lot of work on the suspension and exhaust for the PZ model but no brake work. That's not a PZ as the wheels, mirrors and spoiler are different.

as I said, it could be a solid car but, it's overstated to say the least.

That is way worse than I thought! Stuff like that makes me think I am better to just deal with shadow rotary. Due to drop into them. Saying that I am sure if there a origin Mal car wit rebuild be grand.

I think if you were to get a rebuilt and ported car from Shadow, you'd be a very happy man. I'm sure, as @RichieDC said, there will be haggling room, you could even see if they could throw in some upgrades (d585 coils etc)

id be quite jealous [emoji20]

Thanks rex sure u have a fairly decent motor [emoji6]. Need to research benefits of porting and coils and whatever else's I need to be looking for!! Would porting affect getting it insured I wonder..

I don't think they'd be able to tell it was ported at all, it's a change to the intake and exhaust ports in the engine, they're slightly bigger and only a rotary expert could tell. Ask @RichieDC, @Bradyy or @Aido 8 about the benefits, they all drive ported cars and Richie does the porting for Shadow so they won't put you wrong. I know they made more power on the Dyno, sound great and seem to be a bit better on fuel too.

the ignition upgrade is just for reliability, it means you don't have to change coils at €400 a pop, plus you get a stronger spark, @Chazz says it's a huge difference.

Apart from that, make sure the CAT has been removed (reliability, performance, noise and flames :) ) and get @littlefeck to map it - you'll then have a peach of a car !!

On 7/10/2016 at 10:49 PM, Rex Ruthor said:

I don't think they'd be able to tell it was ported at all, it's a change to the intake and exhaust ports in the engine, they're slightly bigger and only a rotary expert could tell. Ask @RichieDC, @Bradyy or @Aido 8 about the benefits, they all drive ported cars and Richie does the porting for Shadow so they won't put you wrong. I know they made more power on the Dyno, sound great and seem to be a bit better on fuel too.

the ignition upgrade is just for reliability, it means you don't have to change coils at €400 a pop, plus you get a stronger spark, @Chazz says it's a huge difference.

Apart from that, make sure the CAT has been removed (reliability, performance, noise and flames :) ) and get @littlefeck to map it - you'll then have a peach of a car !!

Porting technically from an insurance stand point is "modifying the car" , however I believe there is a line in there somewhere "parts replaced for upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle with oem or alike" are allowed with porting your not really changing parts they are oem just "refurbished" , in the end I wouldn't say the insurance can do anything , sure even the tyres on the car are aftermarket .... theres many views upon insurance and I'm not going to open that kettle of fish but , realistically no there should be no issues from an insurance stand point and even then , they more then likely will never open that engine ... let alone even know what the hell there looking at ... 

The key benefits to a street port is as follows: 

Information source : @RichieDC

1. "Corners" are taken off the ports and blended to create a smooth transition to the plate from the port , this will decrease side seal wear.
  2. More power @RichieDC car made 203-204 on the dyno , this car had full exhaust system mani + backbox + decat standard pipe it had d585s and @littlefeck Map on it  , More air in + More air out , and some minor timing changes creates more power it seems :P
  3. Fuel economy seems to get better with the port as a little bit of overlap begins with the porting 2 - 3 degrees if even , I don't know if its @RichieDC and his puny right foot and granny like shifting that is playing a role In that , but it seems to help anyway ! Richie can and does get the 400 mark and beyond ! with some 500's in there ! "cite this as needs be Richie ! "
  4. Smoother intake flow and smoother intake tract 
  5. Port Matching always helps to stop disrupt the flow of air ! 
  6. Power from 4500 till 9200 (once again Richie feel free to correct me !)

The key benefits to a half bridge is as follows :

Information Source : Me @Bradyy

1. All of above bar 3 ! (See Cons)
  2. Even more air in and the port timing changes rapidly with some overlap of about 10-15 degrees "marginal I know but still"
  3. Bigger exhaust ports , when I ported mine with the help of @RichieDC we went a "bit" bigger to the point of us wondering was this going to work ... it did and creates even more overlap which is about +5 degrees 
  4. More Power My car made 202 on the dyno and had everything standard on it apart from a decat standard pipe , we believe it would make more with a map and exhaust system ! best case 220 worst 210 , 
  5. Power from about 4000 till 9200 

Half Bridge CONS :

IT EATS BLOODY FUEL ! , if you go anywhere above the 4000rpm mark mpg drops to about 12mpg , above 6500 it drops to about 7mpg ... around town I see about 17mpg and motorway about 24mpg if I drive like @RichieDC

Bottom line really street Porting helps in a number of areas and I would recommend it to anyone that is getting there engines rebuild if not for power and if not for fuel economy simple to take the edge of them bloody sharp ports ! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

That looks lovely, would quite like it if a little cheaper, but they're like rocking horse poo in that condition so I think it's the right price. I was in shadow the other day and appreciated the rx3 in the corner, Eoin reckoned it'll be putting out 600bhp by July at the rotary meet in July, what a beauty!

4 minutes ago, Australianstan said:

That looks lovely, would quite like it if a little cheaper, but they're like rocking horse poo in that condition so I think it's the right price. I was in shadow the other day and appreciated the rx3 in the corner, Eoin reckoned it'll be putting out 600bhp by July at the rotary meet in July, what a beauty!

Well worth the money if it's as clean as it looks from the pics. And as you said they are rare especially rust free ones. A friend had one that was rotten with rust and it would fire up every time with that brappy goodness. 

Your hard work will pay off Chazz, keep it up man.