About to buy first rx8 .. opinions on compression please!

Firstly I hope to be posting alot more in the next while as I am (and have been) on the lookout for an rx8 for a while. I went and viewed one today and is ticking all of the boxes visually and money wise. The reason I'm not searching is I need a quick answer before going and picking this up (possibly)

The guys who owns it has his own garage (works exclusively with rotary) and done a compression test as I was there. My head's telling me the numbers are far too low but some advice would be great as I'm a novice. 

06 with 74k, original engine, original start, no cold or hot start issues or tell tale signs.. however this is what we got..

Rotor Front 6.35/5.97/6.22

Rotor Rear 6.60/6.25/6.37

250rpm

Now bearing in mind I don't do alot of miles, possible 2500 per year and there are no tell tale signs.. yet. Am I mad? Is this engine on way out/rebuild territory? 

Thanks so much Aaron

Nothing wrong with those numbers if you dont have any hot start issues.People get far too hung up on compression.You say you do small mileage,the engine would benefit from being driven hard from time to time and if you dont premix the start.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers rise a tad if you drive it more regularly and pre mix every time you fill up.Btw were those results normalised to 250RPM? 

Edited by bradster72

Yes they were normalised to 250rpm. No not huge miles but certainly want it to be drove hard from time to time. The guy is a nice fella and gauging from his garage and reputation he is telling me those numbers are fine and good for another 25k as long as looked after. 

Thanks for that reply you have eased my mind slightly and it's not bad money at £1250 I'm thinking if it lasted for a while. 

No worries,the numbers dont differ wildly which indicates nice even wear on the rotor faces.Just drive her a bit more and hit the beep on a regular basis to keep her sweet and premix if you dont already.

Just enjoy the car for what it is and dont worry too much about the engine.The big thing to keeping rotaries running well is a tip top ignition system and regular oil changes.Personally I change my oil every 5-6K KMS and the plugs every 8-10K Kms,do the same and you'll be fine 

Appreciate that, cheers. When the plugs were out he said they weren't bad but he is replacing them with new ones for when it sells.

How much 2 stroke do you put in per tank of fuel if you don't mind me asking? 

And is super unleaded recommended?

Thanks

It's not an exact science premixing,the way I work it is say I'm putting 50L in the car then I add roughly 60mil of premix and again if i add say 40L of petrol in the car then I add circa 50 mil of premix so in essence I'm adding 20pc more than whatever amount of petrol I fill up by.

My car takes 65L of petrol so if I brim it I'll add about 80mil of premix,you get the idea...

Edited by bradster72
  • 4 weeks later...